How to register a non governmental organisation (NGO) in Nigeria
In Nigeria, a non-governmental organisation which is also known as a Non-profit or Foundation, is registerable as an Incorporated Trustee under the Companies and Allied Matters Act. The following is the procedure for registering a non-governmental organization in Nigeria;
- First step is to choose two (2)names for the organization in the order of preference
- Conduct a search for availability of the preferred name on the C.A.C website
- Procure an application form which contains a guidance for memorandum of application from the Commission
- When your name has been approved, publish the approval along with the Trustees names and objectives of the organization in two national dailies. One of which should be widely circulated in the area where the organization is based.
- Submit three copies of the duly completed application form with the following documents;
- Formal letter of application
- Original newspaper publications
- 2 copies of applicant’s constitution
- Minutes of the meeting where the trustees were appointed having the list of members present and absent and showing the voting pattern, signed by chairman and secretary of the board
- Minutes of the meeting where the special clause rules was adopted into the constitution of the organisation ; signed by the chairman and secretary
- Trustees (applicants) have to attach 2 passport sized photographs of themselves
- Trustees have to sign against their names on the application form and furnish permanent residential addresses
- The impression of the common seal should be affixed on page 11 of the form.
- Two copies of the Application form duly signed by the secretary and chairman of the board.
Note that to register an NGO, you would require the services of an agent that has been accredited by the Corporate Affairs Commission as only an accredited agent can carry out the registration process.
Team 618 Bees.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advise, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advise from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer.
This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.