How To Obtain Expatriate Quota in Nigeria

How To Obtain Expatriate Quota in Nigeria

November 02, 2022

The Ministry of Interior Affairs and in particular, the Citizenship and Business Department of the Nigerian Immigration Service has the responsibility for administering and enforcing the provisions of the immigration Act which relates to the establishment of businesses in Nigeria and the employment of expatriates. In other words, the Department is entrusted principally with the following responsibilities;

  1. Issuance of Business Permit and expatriate Quota positions
  2. Monitoring the execution of the quota positions granted in order to ensure effective transfer of technology to Nigerians and eventual indigenization of the positions occupied by the Expatriates.



Every enterprise, desirous of obtaining Business Permit and Expatriate Quota is to submit an application to that effect to the Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs on Form T/1 designed for that purpose Companies are, however, to note that emphasis would be placed on employment of Nigerians to understudy the foreign experts for the purpose of training them, to enable the understudies acquire relevant skills for the eventual take-over of the expatriate quota positions. Subsequent to a successful application for the Expatriate Quota in Nigeria, the company is able to process a Subject to Regularization(STR) Visa for its expatriates, which will enable such expatriates to obtain the mandatory Combined Expatriate Residence Permit and Aliens Card (CERPAC) that will enable them to live and work in Nigeria.

The expatriate quota in Nigeria is the approval granted by the Minister of Interior Affairs to foreign-owned or indigenous companies to enable them to employ or recruit foreign employees or directors of the company to legitimately work and live in Nigeria

A Business Permit is often processed together with expatriate quota in the case of a wholly-owned foreign company


The grant of Expatriate Quota depends largely on the nature, relevance and duration of the position to be held by the expatriateHowever, the Federal Ministry of Interior currently issues Expatriate Quota for a period of 3 years. The application for renewal can be made upon the expiration of the quota.



  • Duly completed registration form
  • Incorporation documents to include a memorandum, articles of association, the share capital (Minimum of N100million Naira) and the particulars of the director(s)
  • Feasibility report to be registered with CAC.
  • Certified current audited account and bank reference letter
  • Proposed annual salary to be paid to the expatriate worker indicating their designation, names, and duration of employment
  • Joint Venture Agreement (JVA) for partnership ventures between Nigerians and foreigners, where applicable
  • Company’s Tax Clearance Certificate
  • Lease agreement or C of O for operating premises, where applicable
  • Particulars of training programs for Nigerians
  • List of Nigerians working in the company to understudy the expatriates
  • License permit from government agencies where company engage in specialized sectors such as the oil and gas sector, telecommunications, health, etc.
  • Evidence of capital importation, where applicable.
  • Business permit
  • Payment of prescribed fees



618 Bees can quickly and easily help you obtain Expatriate Quote and Business Permit in Nigeria . Log on to our website or email, or give us a call on +2349017190079. 618 Bees will complete your application with the Immigration Service and the Ministray of Interior.



The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached


More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • What is the first thing I must do to register a business in Nigeria?

    To register a business in Nigeria; you would need to conduct a name search of the business. You can achieve this using your CAC-CRP account.

  • What is an execution clause in a contract?

    This is the section in which the parties sign the contract or agreement.

  • Is there a penalty for late renewal of registration of products with NAFDAC?

    Yes, there is a late renewal fee, which is dependent on the category of the product.

  • What is data protection?

    Data protection is a legal process of protecting sensitive data.

  • Does copyright protect website Domain names?

    No, copyright does not protect domain names.

  • When can I start renewal of the registration of my product(s) with NAFDAC?

    You can start renewal 6 months to the date of expiry.

  • Can a minor be a company director?

    No, a minor cannot be a director. A minor under Nigerian Law is anyone who is below 18 years of age.

  • Can I trademark my logo and name separately? Why is this a good idea?

    Yes you can. The advantage is that it gives you the opportunity to have more than one logo or the opportunity to change your logo easily as opposed to registering the name and the logo as one trademark.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp