How to register an NGO/Foundation in Nigeria
In Nigeria, a foundation, also known as a Non-Governmental organization is registrable as an Incorporated Trustee under the Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA). The following is the procedure for registering a Foundation/NGO in Nigeria;
- First step is to choose 2 names for the organization in the order of preference
- Conduct a search for availability of the preferred name on the C.A.C website
- Procure an application form which contains a guidance for memorandum of application from the Commission
- When your name has been approved, publish the approval in two national dailies and a local one widely circulated in the area where the organization is based.
- Submit three copies of the duly completed application form with the following documents;
- Formal letter of application
- Original newspaper publications
- 2 copies of applicant’s constitution
- Minutes of the meeting where the trustees were appointed having the list of members present and absent and showing the voting pattern, signed by chairman and secretary of the board.
- Minutes of the meeting where the special clause ytwas adopted into the constitution of the organization ; signed by the chairman and secretary
- Trustees (applicants) have to attach 2 passport sized photographs of themselves
- Trustees have to sign against their names on the application form and furnish permanent residential addresses
- The impression of the common seal should be affixed on page 11 of the form and
- Two copies of the application form
- Application form duly signed by secretary and chairman of the board
Note that to register a foundation/NGO, you would require the services of an agent that has been accredited by the Corporate Affairs Commission as only an accredited agent can carry out the registration process. The good news is we are at your service and are available to help whenever you are ready to register or to answer any question that you may have concerning the registration. Contact us by logging on to our website www.618bees.com or by calling us on +23412803791.
Team 618 Bees
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer.This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.