How to record a trademark assignment at the Registry

How to record a trademark assignment at the Registry

March 26, 2019

The required procedure is as follows;

  1. The name, trade or business address and description of the assignee.
  2. The full particulars of the instrument, if any, under which he claims to be entitled to the Trade Mark and a copy of the said instrument. In most cases, this will be a Deed of Assignment. The copy of the deed may be retained by the registry but will not be open to public inspection. The Deed or other instruments of the title should be in English and if not, a verified English translation of the document should be provided.
  3. A Power of Attorney, simply signed.

Where the assignment is connected with the goodwill associated with the business, the assignee should ensure that it is recorded at the registry in order for it to be effective against third parties

Where the assignment is without the goodwill associated with the business, the Registrar may direct that the request for recordal be advertised in the Trade Marks Journal.

However, where the assignment or transmission is not recorded at the registry, and the trademark is infringed by a third party, the assignee has the option of instituting an action for passing off against the third party. This opinion can be inferred from section 3 of the Trade Marks Act.

NOTE that unregistered trademarks can also be assigned provided that at the time of the assignment:

  1. The unregistered Trade Mark is used in the same business as a registered Trade Mark.
  2. Assigned at the same time and to the same person as the registered Trade Mark.
  3.  Assigned in respect of the same goods for which the registered Trade Mark is being assigned and in respect of all the goods in relation to which the unregistered mark is used in that business.

Do you want to assign your trademark?

Do you have any question or clarification regarding the topic in this post that was not answered/provided by this post? Or you have questions regarding what the law states about a particular legal issue? Log on to our website – or call us on 012803791 to speak to any of our consultants that are always on hand to provide answers to such questions.

Team 618 Bees



The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • Why must I file Annual Returns?

    It is a mandatory statutory requirement under the Companies and Allied Matters Act to file Annual Returns yearly. 

  • What is the first thing I must do to register a business in Nigeria?

    To register a business in Nigeria; you would need to conduct a name search of the business. You can achieve this using your CAC-CRP account.

  • Why is mutual assent important in a contract?

    This is one of the key elements of a contract because is shows the meeting of the minds of both parties

  • Do I have to physically drop off my product sample at NAFDAC office?

    No, you can choose to have it sent to NAFDAC office

  • What is personal data?

    This is any information that can be used to identify an identifiable human person such passport photograph.

  • How long does the registration of an industrial design last?

    It is effective for an initial period of 5 years from the date of the application for registration and renewable for two consecutive periods of 5 years

  • Is there a penalty for late renewal of registration of products with NAFDAC?

    Yes, there is a late renewal fee, which is dependent on the category of the product.

  • Can a minor be a company director?

    No, a minor cannot be a director. A minor under Nigerian Law is anyone who is below 18 years of age.

  • What do I need for a trademark search in Nigeria?

    To do a trademark search you will need the name or/and logo (device) of the trademark to be searched and the Class of the trademark that accurately describes it.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Whatsapp icon Chat on WhatsApp