I just got married, how do I change my name to my husbands name and make it reflect on all my certificates?

I just got married, how do I change my name to my husbands name and make it reflect on all my certificates?

June 06, 2019

Changing your name is not rocket science. It’s quite easy. Here is the ABC of how to change your names on all your certificates to reflect your new name. Kindly follow the steps below:

  1. First you need to swear to an Affidavit of Change of Name at the Registry of the High Court closest to you. The affidavit should say that you have changed from your old name and wish to be known by your new name, and you can show your affidavit anywhere you want to present any documentation in your old name. The affidavit is a statutory declaration recording your intention to abandon your old name and adopt a new one.
  2. You then need to announce publicly that you have made the name change. This can be done by publishing your new name in at least one recognised national daily newspaper.

After this process, your duly sworn Affidavit and Newspaper advert can be presented as proof of name change.




For further information or any assistance you may require concerning this process, log on to our website on www.618bees.comor call us on 23412803791. We are also available to render fast, seamless service to assist you with the process.


The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer.This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.



More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • Why must I file Annual Returns?

    It is a mandatory statutory requirement under the Companies and Allied Matters Act to file Annual Returns yearly. 

  • Must my Company Secretary be a Lawyer?

    Although it’s ideal to have a lawyer as a company secretary, it is not compulsory for small private businesses.

  • What are the penalties for not registering my products with the SON?
      1. Seizure of goods by the Inspectorate and Compliance Directorate
      2. Payment of a fine.
      3. Prosecution


  • Do I have to physically drop off my product sample at NAFDAC office?

    No, you can choose to have it sent to NAFDAC office

  • What is share capital?

    The share capital in a private limited company is the amount of money invested by its owners in exchange for shares of ownership.

  • Can I trademark my logo and name separately? Why is this a good idea?

    Yes you can. The advantage is that it gives you the opportunity to have more than one logo or the opportunity to change your logo easily as opposed to registering the name and the logo as one trademark.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Whatsapp icon Chat on WhatsApp