Categories of Non-financial Businesses That Require SCUML Certificate in Nigeria
SCUML stands for Special Control Unit Against Money Laundering and it is issued by the EFCC (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission) as proof that a bank account is not being used for money laundering activities. The certificate is issued after a thorough background check of the applicant company/business.
The following non-financial businesses require SCUML certificate in Nigeria;
- Dealers in luxury goods.
- Dealers in jewelry.
- Importers and dealers in cars or any other automobile.
- Hotels and other hospitality businesses.
- Tax consultants.
- Audit firms.
- Casinos, pools betting and other Lottery businesses.
- Audit firms.
- Accountants and Accounting Firms.
- Consultants and consulting companies.
- Clearing and settlement companies.
- Trust and company service providers.
- Estate Surveyors and Valuers.
- Dealers in Real Estate, Estates Developers, Estate Agents and Brokers.
- Dealers in precious stones and metals.
- Dealers in Mechanized farming equipment and machineries.
- Construction companies.
- Non-Governmental/Non-profit organisations.
- Mortgage Brokers.
- Practitioners of Mechanized farming an such other businesses and professions as the federal Ministry of Trade and Investment or appropriate regulatory authorities may from time to time designate.
Please note that even if you classify your business under some category not mentioned here, you will still require SCUML Certificate if the objectives of your business as stated in the MEMART or Business Name Form covers any of the above listed areas.
Team 618 Bees
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached