How can my company get a SCUML certificate?

How can my company get a SCUML certificate?

June 14, 2019

SCUML is an abbreviation of Special Control Unit against Money Laundering and it is a unit under the Economic and Financial Crime Commission of Nigeria.

SCUML certificate is for Designated non-financial institutions (DNFIs) this is in line with the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act ML (P) Act 2011 and the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA) 2011. This is usually giving upon application by the company after a background check is done on the company by the unit.

The process for obtaining a SCUML certificate is easy, simply log into SCUML, click on the tab “Register Online” and fill the registration form and attach the required documents.

The documents to be attached the depends on the type of company

The documents to be attached for business name include;

  • Certificate of incorporation
  • BN FORM 01
  • Evidence of tax Registration.
  • Professional certificate are required for professional companies.

The document for to be attached for a Limited Liability Company includes,

  • Certificate of incorporation
  • FORM CAC 1.1
  • Memorandum And Articles Of Association (MEMART)
  • Evidence of tax registration.

The document for Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOS)/ Non Profit Organizations (NPOS)

  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Incorporation of Trustees or CAC7
  • Constitution or Memorandum of Article of Association
  • Evidence of tax Registration( TIN Number and Print out / Tax exemption

The requirement for International NGOs/NPOs;

  • Evidence of registration with the national planning committee(NPC)
  • Constitution
  • Organisational profile
  • Evidence of tax Registration(TIN Number and Printout /Tax Exemption)

The requirements for state Registration includes;

  • Certificate of registration from state
  • Constitution
  • Valid means of identification of at least three executives means.
  • Evidence of tax Registration(TIN Number and Printout/Letter of exemption)




The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • Do I need a Company Secretary?

    A limited liability company (LLC) must have a company secretary.

  • What is an execution clause in a contract?

    This is the section in which the parties sign the contract or agreement.

  • If I have NAFDAC Registration number, do I still need SON registration number?

    SON Product Registration scheme is mandatory for all SON’s regulated products as mandated by SON Act 56 of 1971, 20 of 1984, 18 of 1990 as amended.

    This is irrespective of the registration done by NAFDAC

  • What is personal data?

    This is any information that can be used to identify an identifiable human person such passport photograph.

  • Does a trademark search automatically reserve my trademark name?

    No, a trademark search does not automatically reserve that which is sought to be trademarked. A search ascertains whether that which is sought to be trademarked is available or violates any existing trademark.

  • Is there a penalty for late renewal of registration of products with NAFDAC?

    Yes, there is a late renewal fee, which is dependent on the category of the product.

  • Why do i need a Shareholders Agreement?

    You need a Shareholders Agreement to protect your investment in a company.  The shareholders Agreement establishes a fair relationship between all shareholders and sets out how the company is run.

  • Will my trademark registration in Nigeria protect me worldwide?

    No, all intellectual property (IP) rights which includes trademarks are territorial, which means you are protected in the countries in which you register them.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Whatsapp icon Chat on WhatsApp